On Sunday, November 15, the TSO Network welcomed over 75 Doctors and staff of TSO from 30 offices across the state to be introduced to the newly formed TSO University Associate Training Program.
Over the course of eight hours, attendees dove into the TSO University New Associate Program; which includes a comprehensive, topic focused curriculum that encourages TSO associates to provide more consistent patient care. This program allows the Doctors of TSO to invest in the careers of their staff through appointing a designated in-office training coordinator to guide new associates through the program and assist in the learning curve.
About the Associate Training Program
The program consists of three components in which the in-office coordinator oversees:
- TSO Quick Start Orientation DVD
- ECP University New Dispenser Quick Start
- TSO Associate Training Manual, including the Question and Answers Manual
Associates are encouraged to complete the entire program within their first seven months of employment with TSO. During month one,
associates complete the TSO Quick Start Orientation DVD and the ECP University New Dispenser Quick Start program. The remaining six months are dedicated to the 26-chapter TSO Associate Training Manual, in which each associate is encour- aged to work though by allotting 30 minutes each day to study materials and test weekly using the Questions and Answers manual.
About the TSO Training Coordinator The TSO Training Coordinator is re- sponsible for ensuring that the office staff has completed the basic TSO University curriculum. In addition to promoting participation in on-going education and training events offered throughout the year, the Training Coordinator will:
- Manage the education accomplish- ment by keeping records on what aspects of the TSO program each associate has completed.
- Work with new associates on a daily basis, making sure they invest the time necessary to complete the TSO curriculum in the amount of time for which it is designed.
- Make associates aware of on-going education opportunities and pro- mote associate participation in these events.
- Contribute to staff meetings with education by either delivering the information themselves or arrang- ing for outside people to present.
- Attend TSO Network’s annual meeting each year as well as groom others in the office with the skills needed to be a successful Training Coordinator.
By taking advantage of the TSO University Training Program, not only will the TSO associates feel powerful and encouraged, but it will also encourage the Doctors and training coordinators of TSO to continue to build confident, inspired, controlled and enthusiastic teams in income-producing TSO offices with high morale!
Offices who were unable to attend the event are encour- aged to order their TSO University starter pack, which contains the following:
- TSO Associate Training Manual
- TSO Associate Training Manual Questions & Answers
- TSO Quick Start Orientation DVD
“Have you given much thought to how a knowledgeable em- ployee is created? Often, the process is left to chance where we conduct “Just-in-Time” training, usually a day too late, with no timetable or scripted process. The results are hit-and-miss. It’s a very frustrating (and expensive) process. Our new TSO Network training program offers a clear method for on-boarding new associates and giving them a path with timetabled defined benchmarks to become an optical profes- sional. These “drill and practice” modules, where a topic may be presented, repeated and repeated again in the three compo- nents of the New Hire Quick Start, are exactly how adults learn and retain. Necessity dictates in a competitive market that we offer clear career learning opportunities. This program, if administered properly, will give us a competitive edge in recruiting, hiring, training and retaining.”
– Tom Ford, Chief Operating Officer – Reade Group